David McDougall has produced content for a number of media outlets around the world. His award winning work has been seen on HBO, VICE, CBC, TVO and several other outlets.
Producer Nov 2016 -- present
VICE on HBO (Brooklyn, NY)
* Producer for VICE’s Emmy-winning weekly documentary series VICE on HBO.
* Responsible for conceiving, filed producing, writing and overseeing edits of hosted documentary segments, covering a wide range of national and international topics.
Independent Producer Apr 2016 – Nov 2016
VICE / CBC / TVO (Toronto)
* Developing, producing and shooting current affairs and news documentaries for VICE News, and VICE’s dedicated TV channel, VICELAND.
* Producing and shooting a TVO (TV Ontario) documentary series on climate change in Canada’s remote aboriginal communities.
* Developing and producing an original digital documentary series for the CBC, featuring a range of documentary photojournalists around the world.
Producer / Field Producer / Director Apr 2015 – Apr 2016
VICE / “Terror” (Toronto)
* Developed, produced and field produced a flagship 5x1hr VICE documentary series, with company founder Suroosh Alvi, filmed in Iraq, Somalia, Nigeria, Cameroon, Pakistan, Jordan and Yemen.
* Responsible for managing budgets and field crew.
* Responsible for overseeing and directing a team of Associate Producers and researchers in Toronto.
* Responsible for overseeing visual style, conceiving shot lists, and directing two to three cameras in the field.
* Responsible for conducting all producer interviews, and for prepping and directing all hosted interviews.
Senior Producer May 2014 - Sep 2014
Live Through This / CBC Radio One (Toronto)
* Created, developed and produced a new, ten-part national documentary show for CBC Radio One.
* Responsible for conducting and recording interviews, writing content, script and audio editing, sound mixing, field recording and technical studio production.
* Responsible for commissioning and directing freelance contributors, managing and directing a host and a producer.
* The on air version of Live Through This sustained an average national audience reach of close to a million listeners per episode in Canada and substantially increased the audience over previous shows in the same time slot.
Producer Jan 2011 – Mar 2015
As it Happens / CBC Radio One (Toronto)
* Radio producer and editor with the flagship daily current affairs show, broadcast nationally in Canada and on NPR in the U.S.
* Covering a wide range of stories, topics and regions, both national and international, but with particular focus on Africa and the Middle East, human rights, conflict and Canadian refugee policy under the previous government.
* Responsible for identifying and chasing guests who can adequately advance the leading national and international stories at the end of a news day.
*On a daily basis, writing to tight, on-air deadline, writing online copy for CBC.CA, interviewing guests, editing stories and packaging and producing the show for broadcast.
Special Correspondent 2011 – Mar 2015 (intermittently)
The Globe and Mail (Syria, Lebanon, Turkey)
* Worked on assignment for The Globe and Mail, as well as freelance for the CBC and other news outlets, covering the uprising in Syria and its impact on the region.
*Front page stories on the use of child soldiers in Syria and on the rise of al-Qaeda’s influence in Aleppo, before either story was widely reported.
* News and documentary coverage for CBC Radio formed the bases for a 2013 Amnesty International media award.
* Original reporting informed parts of Human Rights Watch reports on the use of human shields in Syria.
* Produced several online multimedia projects for CBC on the refugee crisis in Lebanon and on the history of the Syrian conflict.
Stringer 2007 – 2009 (intermittently)
CBC, The Globe and Mail (Kenya, DRC, Somalia, Ethiopia, Rwanda, Uganda)
* Numerous front page stories in Canada’s national newspaper, including breaking news as well as investigative features.
* Worked as a news and documentary contributor to CBC’s Dispatches, The Current, As it Happens and CBC Television; contributed news reports to CTV News, the BBC, and the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.
* Worked as an occasional field producer and camera operator for CBC in Nairobi.
Associate Producer Dec 2009 – Apr 2010
CBC Local News (Toronto)
* News writing, chase producing and reporting for CBC TV, Radio News and online.
* Regular experience live producing and field producing breaking news stories.
* Responsible for coordinating multiple camera operators and reporters in the field, managing incoming media on deadline and overseeing edits for both live and packaged stories.
Researcher / Field Producer Dec 2007 – Sep 2009
CBC National TV News (Toronto)
* Worked on the National TV Assignment desk as a researcher with regular experience in daily chase producing for national and international stories.
*Regular backfill as a network field producer for the CBC’s flagship evening newscast, The National.
* Experience working directly with national reporters on daily deadlines for individual stories, as well as coordinating multiple shoots, stories and edits for national news from the newsroom.
*Responsible for covering a wide range of topics, with particular focus on Canadian business and economic stories during the financial meltdown.
* 2013 Amnesty International Media broadcast award for coverage of the conflict in Syria for CBC.
* 2015 New York Festivals, finalist in Best Human Interest Story for the documentary “Gravity” on Live Through This.
* 2012 Excellence in Health reporting, Canadian Medical Association - As it Happens’ coverage of controversial changes to federal health coverage for refugees.
* Panelist / Speaker, “Living in the Shadows of War” at the Munk School of Global Affairs, University of Toronto, October, 2016
* Panelist / speaker at the opening of the Amnesty International film festival “Reel Awareness” in Toronto, November, 2015.
* Speaker at the CBC Doc Project seminar on new programming at the CBC Broadcast Centre in Toronto, October, 2014
* GJS (Global Journalist Security) five day hostile environment and first aid training, Washington DC, Apr 2015.
* RISC (“Reporters Instructed in Saving Colleagues”) intensive four day battlefield and trauma medical training, NYC, Oct 2012.
Memberships and Professional Associations
* Television Academy (Academy of Television Arts & Sciences).
- Expertise with shooting video on Sony a7S, Canon C300, C100, 5D Mark III.
- Video editing in Premiere and Final Cut Pro.
- Audio editing in Pro Tools, Adobe Audition and Dalet.
- Studio technician skills for analogue and digital radio studios -- including in-studio, phone, ISDN and NGCN interviews.